CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2008

I Did it All By Myself! (but I didn't like it)

No, this isn't a post about Justin, although he does get pretty excited when he does something by himself. I actually tried not one, but two new things last week.

The first was bottling pears. By myself. I've canned fruit with my mom and sisters more times than I can count, but I've never actually done it flying solo. I have always gone up to my parent's house and we've done it there. But this year I just didn't have time to make the trip. My dad was nice enough to bring a box of pears down to Wes's office. Thanks for the pears mom and dad!

Anyway, I got really specific instructions from my mom, so I was pretty confident in my ability to do the pears. And I did. I peeled, and sterilized, and peeled, and chopped, and boiled, and did I mention peeled? Oh my goodness. Pears are so much work! The only fun part about canning them is spending the day talking and laughing with my mom and sisters. Without that, it was endless mind numbing torture quite a tedious chore. I think in the future I will stick to canning pears only if I have some female companionship to make the time go by faster.


So, the pears are done, and I took a photo of them lined up on my counter top. Don't they look pretty? The thing is, it was such a long process getting them to this point, that I don't think I can actually let anyone eat them.


Oh yes, the second thing I did by myself. Used the brand new gas stove in our basement. I have never used a gas stove before, and I was actually a little terrified and freaked out nervous, but it all worked out. I didn't even burn the house down or asphyxiate myself with gas fumes. What a day!

0 comments: